Tuesday, January 5, 2010

So this is the new year...

Have you ever woken up and just asked yourself why?



"Why do I have to get out of bed so early?"



"Why did I waste so much time on facebook last night?!"



These two are pretty typical for most people, but have you ever thought a little deeper than that?



For me, this was one of those deeper mornings. "Why is my life the way it is? Was there one specific decision I made that caused it to be like this? Or is it just how my life was destined to be?"



Now don't you guys worry, I'm not regreting any life decisions that I have made and I'm not in any way saying that I'm not happy with the life I'm living. I have just had one of those step back and look at your life from a different standpoint kind of experiences that make you wonder what things would be like if you would have done one thing instead of the other.



I guess this kind of self evaluation should come around about the time of the New Year, I mean just take a little inventory of who you are now compared to who you were the last time you counted down the seconds until a new year. Isn't it funny though how we expect so much to change on days like new years and birthdays, when in reality, those are usually the days that the least amount of change happens? Change seems like one of those things that when you expect it, it never comes but when you don't, it comes out of no where and throws you a curveball. But if you think about it, that is really just what life is about. Changes. And even though changes are sometimes the hardest things to accept...we are better people because of them.



This is one of the biggest lessons that I have learned this semester, that change is necessary.



I have also realized this: in a small town like Lebanon (no offense to those of you who still live there) you don't have to grow. If you wanted to, you could stay in the same house with the same friends and family surrounding you and just get your degree at LBCC and not experience much change at all if you don't want to. In small towns you have to DECIDE to grow. It is up to you to seek out big changes. However, that isn't the case when you move out of your comfort zone and into a city like Portland were there are practially limitless possibilities. You get to chose who you will be rather than most of the population already knowing you.



So here it is....2010. Bring on the changes.

-Gina


Now Listening To: Dreamer by Chris Brown

1 comment:

  1. Wow...this is very good. This is a stop and think about it post..... You are right, we DO have to make a choice to change. Change is good and we all need it to stay on target with where God wants us to be. I don't think He like stagnation... lol.

    Thank you for posting, Gina. Very proud of you up there in Portland. Always be aware of your surroundings...in other words, be safe. We kind of like you and are looking forward to seeing you again.

    Love you,
    Mom #2

    ReplyDelete