Monday, October 5, 2009

Gah! Lee's Summit, MO!

Oh my goodness sakes.

I don't even know where to start!

Today was day one of training in Lee's Summit. We arrived yesterday evening, met most everyone and hung out for a little before Arlee and I had to head back to our host home. We lucked out.

FIRST of all...I get to stay with Arlee who happens to be quite cool. She's form St. Joe, MO and is doing year team in Portsmouth, NH. So...yeah....she's cool. SECOND of all....the house we're staying at is huge...and gorgeous...and the family here is ridiculously hospitable... Thank you God!

Ok....so today we headed to the church around 9 and had worship for an hour. Then Tommy Stanley (Lead pastor of Grace Church here in Lee's Summit) spoke to us about worship and singing a new song to the Lord. It was AMAZING! Because, I'll be honest, worship is something I'm quite passionate about...and I feel like I'm somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. I mean, every verse he had us read, was ALREADY underlined in my Bible.

HOWEVER; I can honestly say that I have never looked at Worship in quite the same way as we did today. Holy Crud. I was like....blown away! When we got done with our talk....we had a time where we were all supposed to sing our own song to the Lord. And I don't mean all at the same time....like....Tommy played the guitar and we took turns singing a song.....a song we didn't know....but a song that God gave to us right in that moment. And wow. How retarded is it that I have never done that before??? I mean, sure I do that to myself...or I sing quietly in between verses of a song....but I've never grabbed a mic, sang a song from the Lord for the purpose of edifying Him, or encouraging the church. I KNOW that this is a gift that God has given me. There isn't a doubt in my mind. It's just a matter of me being more confident in it. Alrighty then....now that we have THAT out in the open. =)

Ok...So...then we had lunch, and Tim Chambers (Pastor of the church in Joplin) spoke to us on Spiritual gifts. Holy. Macaroni. THAT BLEW MY MIND!!!!! I was just like......in awe the entire time we were talking, and writing so fast trying not to miss anything. We went through the lists in scripture talking about all of the different spiritual gifts....and let me tell you, there are ALOT! And we discussed each one and kind of it's purpose. And also discussed just Spiritual gifts in general and how we can see evidence of those.

One thing that he said really stuck out to me. He was talking about how there should be evidence of the Holy Spirit moving when we gather together for church. And gave the example of his wife calling her mom after church and asking her, "How was church today?" And her mom's response was something along the lines of, "What do you MEAN how was church? It was church....the same as it always is!"

Whoa. Our church services and gatherings should be FILLED with exciting and NEW things that God is revealing to us personally and to the body as a whole! That's what God intends...and that's what God promises!

We also talked about the verse that says that God has given spiritual gifts to EVERY BELIEVER. Every......every single one. Got it? =) Meaning, just because you don't use or practice a spiritual gift does NOT mean that you don't have one. It's means that you aren't aware of it, or sensitive to it, or just plain ignore it. =) Bad idea....trust me. It's worth it to USE IT. =)

We went through a somewhat long list of different spiritual gifts, where the Bible talks about them and then what their meaning or function is. Then afterward he asked us to all pick 2 spiritual gifts that we wanted and we were going to pray for that.

Again I say, WHOA! Intense....

So...we went down the line, everyone chose 1 or 2. Or I chose 3 cuz I couldn't decide. lol (2 were similar and tied together....lol)

Anyways, then we prayed to either receive those gifts if we didn't already have them, or just for the confidence to USE the gifts that we know we have but don't daily walk in. IT. WAS. INTENSE! (I feel like I've used that word alot in this blog. lol But...it's fairly accurate and I can't think of a better one to use.)

Then tonight we had dinner and hang out time at the Stanley's house. And after we played games, we were like, hey- let's worship! =) So...we did! We sang...and people had words for other people. And we prayed for them. And God showed up. And changes took place. I HONESTLY can tell you that lives were changed. How powerful is that?

Lately when I'm in the presence of God, I find myself doing 1 of 2 things.... Either I'm
a) LAUGHING! Because I don't know what to DO about all this joy that's like freakin' bursting out of me! or...
b) CRYING! Because I'm so in awe and overwhelmed that the God of the Universe speaks to me and more amazingly, THROUGH me! ME! Yes, me. Intense, I know. =)

ANOTHER thing God is showing me is a new love for Dillon, Chris, and Josiah. They really are all three amazing men of God. and I am SO thankful to be on a team with them! I KNOW without a doubt that GOD placed us together and it's just so exciting because we all have so many things to learn from each other and we all contribute to the team in such a different way. I just, love those dudes. =) I honestly believe that God placed me on a team with all men to teach me that there ARE men in this world that are worth loving. Because.....not gonna lie.......I have had my doubts. I mean, I have trust issues sometimes. And being on a team with these guys is forcing me to trust them.......when I didn't even know them. And it was hard for me at first. But, it's only been like 1 1/2 months and already we have this bond....and I know without a doubt that they love me like a sister and they stick up for me...and genuinely care about me and how I'm doing. It's amazing. And what's more amazing is that God has given me a brotherly love for them! When I see these guys having a hard time, I want to fix the problem- take away their hurt and I LOVE it when I see God revealing Himself to them in a new way...and watching their response to it. It's just great all around. =) I don't know what else to say. I'm running out of words and probably boring you...lol

Anyways, Tomorrow we have part 2 of each of those messages we heard today and I am POSITIVE that it's going to be amazing! Can't wait to see what God speaks to everyone. And to me! AND I can't wait to be obedient and respond to it! EVEN IF it takes boldness.... =)

What an amazing day. I think I'll go to sleep. =)

Love you all...

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing testimony!! I love hearing about all you are learning. You are teaching us so much here. We love you and miss you!

    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking and praying for you and spiritual gifts this morning! :) I'm excited for you to come home and tell me more about all your experiences in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...I am challenged..I will be praying for spiritual gifts. I love knowing that we all have them...just need to practice them.
    I am amazed at how many people are reading your blog and are challenged, as I am...I am so blessed that you are developing such a passion for God...I can't wait to hear all about it in person! (73 days by the way!)
    Keep it up honey. God has something absolutely astonishing planned for your life! I've told you that for many years, remember... I've always felt very strong about that!
    Love and miss you very much today. I received a forwarded email from Warren that he had received from Tommy Stanley...it made my day! Sounds like they really like you. I better reply to Tommy and tell him not to get any ideas! :)
    Hope you are warm and comfortable....I will send your coats and scarfs tomorrow!
    Love, Love, Love you.
    Momma

    ReplyDelete